What’s the big deal about meal planning?
And, why oh why, Lauren, are you constantly about it?
Well, before you knock meal planning too hard, check out my list below of 6 signs that meal planning might be just the thing for you!
See if you recognize any of the scenarios.
And don’t worry- I’ll be nice.
- You regularly find yourself staring like a zombie in your fridge around 5:30 p.m. as you contemplate what-oh-what you could possibly make for dinner.
- You get irrationally snappy when an unsuspecting family member casually asks what’s for dinner tonight. (Because, deep inside, you’re sort of panicking about having to figure it out.)
- You completely run out of groceries between shopping trips.
- Or the opposite: You have a fridge full of good intentions that never quite transpire- “That pineapple smelt sooo fresh…but I guess I never got around to using it.”
- You have begun to sort of hate cooking in general- it feels like a chore and not a pleasure.
- You eat the same 3 meals over and over again.
The solution these conundrums? Meal planning! And it’s really not scary- I PROMISE! Yes, it may take a few rounds to feel really confidant and fly through it, but you WILL get there. Check out how to meal plan on a budget here.
I’ve heard all the excuses to avoid meal planning.
“When It comes to cooking, I just like to wing it.”
“Meal planning takes too much time.”
“Oh, I just keep a shopping list in my head.”
“I don’t want to be confined to a set schedule. What if I don’t feel like meatloaf on Thursday?” (Eye roll)
“Cooking is like art… it shouldn’t be planned.” (Double eye roll)
Okay- I hear you. Those are all really valid points. Okay- some of them are really valid points. The rest are just ridiculous. I’ll let you choose which is which.
But I fail to understand the total resistance to a tiny bit of time and brain power spent planning to make the WHOLE week go smoother!
I suspect that all the nay-sayers have never actually tried planning out their meals for the week and making an accompanying shopping list.
What are your thoughts?